Indy Reads is pleased to offer AmeriCorps service opportunities in our HSE, Literacy/ABE, and English Language Learner (ELL) Community Classrooms
Make a difference in the Indianapolis, Indiana community by becoming a WorkLiteracy coach at Indy Reads. Members will receive extensive training and tools to help adults who are learning how to read, speak English, and increase their job readiness skills. Through the extensive professional development and hands-on experience in this program, Members will develop presentation, coaching, and mentoring skills, and earn an education award for future higher education or to pay off existing higher-education debts. Members will serve under the supervision of Indy Reads program staff.
- Provide intensive literacy and English language tutoring and job readiness coaching to Community Classrooms students;
- Under the guidance of an Indy Reads Instructor, help with lesson planning and curriculum development;
- Present job readiness workshops on skills like active listening, problem solving, teamwork, critical thinking, and time management for students and other AmeriCorps members;
- Assess student’s job readiness skills before and after instruction;
- Serve as leaders in the classroom by continuously mentoring Community Classrooms volunteers; and
- Take on special program projects as needed.
- Interpersonal skills to work with a diverse group of individuals;
- Working knowledge of computer software and multimedia tools; familiar with Microsoft Office suite and Google G Suite;
- Interest in literacy issues;
- For literacy, Members will ideally have a background in elementary education, special education and/or have been exposed to Orton-Gillingham, Lindamood-Bell or similar programs;
- For ELL, Members should have either a TESOL certificate OR be proficient in another language OR have studied abroad. (Spanish proficiency is a huge plus*);
- Flexible schedule to accommodate regular evening and weekday duties;
- Personal, reliable transportation to accommodate regular classroom visits to partner sites;
- Ability to work effectively with adult learners and positively communicate with students requesting assistance; and
- Solid data analysis and organizational skills including ability to think strategically.
Indy Reads will provide ongoing literacy, ELL and job readiness training to members. All members will work in Indianapolis, Indiana. Travel is necessary and members must have their own transportation. Some travel to training is provided.
Our Mission and Work:
Indy Reads builds literacy, English language, and job readiness skills to empower adults and families to reach their full potential. For over 30 years, we’ve worked toward a vision of 100% literacy for all. High literacy levels give access to greater developmental, educational, and career opportunities, but current statistics show that 1 in 6 adults in Indiana read at or below a sixth-grade level. Our free, student-centered, Community Classrooms program is led by experienced instructors and trained volunteers. Community Classrooms programs include:
- Literacy – Serves adults that read below a 6th grade level via individualized lessons for each student, and 1-1 or small group instruction with volunteer tutors.
- ELL – Serves adults who want to learn English as a second language through Ventures curriculum, which is based on life-skills. Volunteer tutors work with students 1-1 or in small groups.
- Certifications – Serves adults who read at more advanced levels and are looking to find a new career path or advance their job qualifications. We offer two options for those pursuing a career in customer service: a certification through the National Retail Federation or certification through the International Business Training Association’s Certified Business Professional course.
AmeriCorps members will provide students with the intensive, one-on-one literacy or ELL tutoring they need to develop their reading and English skills, as well as personalized coaching to help them succeed in our work training programs. This support allows Indy Reads to enact its mission to “empower adults and families to reach their full potential.”
AmeriCorps Members serve full-time for one year with varying work hours and receive a modest living allowance in the form of a bi-weekly stipend and other benefits such as loan forbearance and an educational grant at the end of service. The position can accommodate candidates with other commitments by providing a flexible schedule to accomplish the service hours. Indy Reads provides individualized professional development, hands-on skills training specific to the field of education, and job readiness skills development in the form of weekly workshops and self-paced trainings, opportunities to build your resume and work portfolio, career counseling at the end of your service, and a staff mentor throughout the year to provide support and guidance. This program is available to all, regardless of race, color, disability, age, national origin, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or religion.
This program is an AmeriCorps State program made possible through funding from CNCS and Serve Indiana. Grievance procedures for sites and members may be viewed here.