At Indy Reads our vision is to make Central Indiana 100% literate. With 1 in 5 Hoosiers reading at or below a sixth-grade ability, our mission to promote and improve the literacy of adults and families in Central Indiana is needed now more than ever! We take a community literacy approach to teaching adult students. Through an innovative social learning model, instructors are supported by a team of volunteer tutors in each dynamic classroom setting offered at partner locations throughout the Indianapolis area.
This Student Navigator position will have an emphasis on working with our Criminal Justice partners and will be a half to three-quarter time position. The Navigator will lead the intake and onboarding process of a student along with promoting continued student engagement with Indy Reads and serve as a student advocate. The Navigator will be responsible for all applicants of Indy Reads from the time of expressed interest to completion of our program. In order to support initial student engagement, the Navigator will build relationships with each applicant and provide resources to remove barriers for enrollment and success in our program. An effective Navigator will understand how to prioritize and manage their core responsibilities while also being responsive to student crises as they arise. Through problem-solving sessions, the Navigator will facilitate ways in which each applicant can overcome barriers and continue educational progress towards their goals. The Navigator will support individuals as they move through the Indy Reads program and transition onto their next step.
Additional responsibilities include: Coordinating and administering the intake process, assessing life experiences, determining education tracks with instructional staff, and connecting applicants with internal and external supportive services to ensure success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support, work closely, and maintain open communication with applicants, staff, and leadership to support a successful enrollment.
- Attend all team and professional development meetings.
- Become part of a reliable alliance to ensure applicant and student engagement.
- Engage applicants upon expressed interest
- Document interactions with all applicants.
- Review prior enrollment history for returning applicants/students
- Manage and monitor applicant information to ensure successful enrollment
- Upload documentation into the student’s portfolio
- Assist instructors in developing student individual learning plans based on intake assessment.
Guiding Applicants to Overcome Obstacles and Solve Problems
- Continuously engage applicants in facilitating their successful enrollment into Indy Reads.
- Develop action-oriented and present-focused interventions to increase student retention.
- Identify and connect applicants to community resources to remove barriers and support successful enrollment.
- Initiate and maintain contact with key internal and community partners (community agencies, educational institutions, and employers) to enhance an array of support services provided to applicants.
- Manage and monitor students’ learning experiences through individual and/or group meetings to ensure student engagement and accomplishment of learning goals.
- Assist team with outreach efforts and community integration events throughout the school year (periodically at nights and on weekends).
- Collaborate with instructional team to address student success.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Prior experience in the criminal justice setting.
- Ability to drive occasionally. Valid driver’s license, up-to-date auto insurance, and good driving record.
- Two years of experience in social work, counseling, advising, academic guidance, sales or related field.
- Superior verbal or written communication skills.
- Strong meeting facilitation skills.
- Experience working with English Language Learners and immigrant students.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and to relate to a diverse population.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Ability to embrace change positively and manage workload independently.
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player; adaptable to shifting priorities while maintaining a positive learning environment.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to model professionalism.
- Ability to gather and analyze data for informed decision making.
- Has working knowledge of computer programs and accessing internet applications: Salesforce & Google G suite
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use his/her hands to feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this position include close vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out this and other opportunities to join our team at http://www.indyreads.org/join-our-team/