VICE PRESIDENT DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
At Indy Reads, our vision is to Make Central Indiana 100% Literate. With 1 in 6 Hoosiers reading at or below a sixth-grade level, our mission to promote and improve the literacy of adults and families in Central Indiana is needed now more than ever! We take a community literacy approach to teaching adult students. Through an innovative social learning model, instructors are supported by a team of volunteer tutors in each dynamic classroom setting offered at partner locations throughout the Indianapolis area.
This is an amazing opportunity for you to guide and invigorate our 30-year-old organization by building resources and awareness through traditional and cutting-edge fundraising and communication methods. An entrepreneurial spirit is a must, along with a can-do attitude.
This person is responsible for working in partnership with the CEO and Resource Development Committee for planning and coordinating all aspects of fund development and marketing for Indy Reads. This position will successfully organize and develop direct mail solicitations, fundraising, online giving, major gifts events, and acknowledgment of all donations. While not responsible for the marketing of Indy Reads Books (IRB), this position will work with IRB leadership to develop fundraising and donor cultivation opportunities at the bookstore.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create and implement strategies for donor development and cultivation which will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base for Indy Reads.
- Identify and pursue new sources of corporate, social venture, and foundation funding.
- Initiate prospect research on current donors to determine potential gift amounts in order to increase the annual fund and major gift program. Goal to increase current donors gifts by 25% through communication and cultivation.
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for solicitation, and coordinate solicitations by other staff, board members or volunteers, as appropriate.
- Create and update collateral materials to support gift cultivation.
- Develop program for CEO and board for increased outreach to new donors.
- Develop and implement all aspects of direct donor mailings, appeal letters, and other donor mailings as needed.
- Work with staff to ensure acknowledgment of all gifts and donations in a timely manner.
- Keep up-to-date on current fundraising programs, practices and procedures used in the nonprofit sector and inform leadership of methods that would benefit Indy Reads.
- Manage or oversee all Indy Reads fundraising events which includes expansion of committees for deeper reach across industry sectors and community validators. Our largest fundraiser, the Alphabet Affair, is coordinated by a consultant.
- Work with appropriate staff, contractors, and volunteers to ensure that all aspects of a successful event are focused toward a common goal.
- Develop and solicit sponsors for events.
- Plan planted gifts for paddle raisers, auctions, and key asks among current donors.
- Ensure consistent messaging at all IRB events and develop plan to cultivate IRB event attendees into future donors.
Grant Requests and Administration
- Work with grant team to develop a pipeline for new grants and increased gifts from current funders.
- Connect and reintroduce programs to past grant funders who have become delinquent.
- Provide timely tracking, reporting, and ensured compliance as required by grant award documentation.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive written annual resource development plan with strategies for donors and prospects in each constituent group including individuals, organizations, corporations, and bookstore customers.
- Provide monthly reports to the CEO and Resource Development Committee which measure progress towards achieving the plan.
- Broaden Indy Reads fundraising by developing approaches such as planned giving, solicitation of bequests, and endowment programs.
- Work with Indy Reads Books leadership to ensure the bookstore is part of the Indy Reads overall development and marketing plan.
- Provide staff support to Resource Development Committee.
Public Relations and Marketing
- Assist with media alerts and press releases and serve as key contact for media requests.
- Develop and maintain contact with area media outlets, including cultivation and media pitches for events, promo stories, and community goodwill stories.
- Oversee and direct all media relations, social media communication, media production, and general branding of Indy Reads.
- Create and update marketing materials for Indy Reads. Work with IRB to ensure consistent messaging.
- Build and sustain working relationships and communication with community groups. Work with CEO to ensure Indy Reads is represented at appropriate ‘tables’.
- Grow footprint within media market.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred. CFRE preferred.
- 5 to 7 years professional development and fundraising experience.
- Advanced PC skills and expert proficiency in Google’s G Suite. (Salesforce experience desirable). Social Media experience preferred.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision – self-motivated & confident.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Possess the ability to work well in an extremely fast paced, ever-changing environment.
- Ability to work well with people from all backgrounds with varying degrees of experience.
- Ability to inspire, train, motivate, challenge, and supervise volunteers.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to create personal relationships and to communicate effectively and deliver exceptional customer service to a variety of stakeholders (i.e. donors, sponsors, and volunteers), both verbally and in writing.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter address the following:
- Why is the Indy Reads mission important to you and to the Central Indiana community?
- How does your experience make you the ideal candidate for this position?